Today Dr. Karen Wyatt discusses how to start an end-of-life planning conversation with your healthcare provider. She suggests the following:
- Don’t wait for your provider to bring it up – initiate the conversation yourself
- Schedule a dedicated appointment for advance care planning rather than trying to add it on to a regular visit or wellness exam
- Be prepared by completing either The Conversation Starter Kit or the SMART Decisions Challenge before your visit
- Choose your healthcare proxy in advance and make sure that person is willing to serve this role on your behalf
- Print your paperwork in advance by going to caring info.org and downloading the forms needed for your state(s) of residence
- Bring along a list of your questions
- Return for a follow-up conversation in 2-4 weeks. Then plan to revisit your decisions every 5 years or whenever your health status changes.
Remember to subscribe to End-of-Life University interview series on the website.
If you’d like to support EOLU with a small donation go to Patreon.com/eolu.
Tune in next week and until then:
Face Your Fears. BE Ready. Love Your Life.